Adventures in parenting, life, and living in the moment

Adventures in life, parenting, and living in the moment

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I was right. Again.

I am not always right.  Usually, yes.  Always? No.  Except for when it comes to the health of my kid. With that topic, I am always right.  I don't know a mother alive who didn't "know" when something wasn't "right."  We may not always know exactly "what" is "wrong", but we know when "something" is not "right."  Enter Brody.  Specifically, Brody and his latest tendency to say 'owwie" and point to his diaper a lot.  Upon investigation- he looks fine.  Since I am distinctly lacking in the boy bits and pieces department, I have daddy check him out to confirm.  Yep- he looks normal. Still, he says "ow" over and over.  So, I take him to the doctor.  Most likely a urinary tract infection that requires routine antibiotics.  Easy enough.
Our regular doctor whom we adore is not available.  The B team doctor pronounces that he is fine.  Contributes his exclamations of pain as most likely a new habit to get attention.  Hmmm.  I am puzzled.  I did not think 19 month old cherubs would do such a thing to their mommies.  Proving the mother wrong usually rears its head in the teen years as a vengeful act that allows parents to feel better about willingly sending the youth off to college. On top of all that, this act of attention getting just cost us $30 in a co-pay.  On top of all that, I hate being wrong.
Brody continues to complain about diaper changes and struggles a lot when needing changed.  We switch brands of wipes.  No help.  We switch to water on wash cloths.  No good.   Just more laundry.  I am THIS close to subjecting us all to the dramas of potty training to avoid diapering. Then he starts waking up in the middle of the night and crying "owwie." Mommy alarm.  This is not an attention getting ploy.  He hurts.
Upon talking to the nurse, we decide he has a bladder or urinary tract infection. He needs a urine test to be sure.  I ask how they get a sample from a now 20 month old.  The reply is that we come to the office and try to get him to go into a cup.  Right. If that fails (it will), then we wait around with him diaperless until he has to go and try our best to catch it.  Seriously people? Medical science has advanced to the point of bionic limbs and organ transplants, but there is no better method of collecting a urine sample from a baby? I make the appointment for the late afternoon.   Out comes the Ziploc.
Brody naps.   Upon waking, the one strategically placed ziploc had done its job and collected just enough pee to suffice for the test.  The doctor runs the test despite the sample "looking normal."  If I am wrong, I want to be proven wrong by a lab.
Monday I get the call with results. Here's the shocker- he has an infection that requires simple antibiotics.  The doctor (our regular adored physician) tells me that  1. not only is he impressed with my ziploc strategery but that 2. babies this age don't usually make this stuff up and 3. moms are usually right.  Thank you.  I requested he put that in writing for Brody's future reference.  Instead, we got the bill for the $30 copay.  Small price to pay for being right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment