Adventures in parenting, life, and living in the moment

Adventures in life, parenting, and living in the moment

Monday, July 30, 2012

He's Gifted.

If my mom ever reads this one, she'll immediately comment "He gets it from you" or something (exactly) like that.  Let's just say that Kai has an insane gift for speaking.  He talks non-stop.  I mean really ALL THE TIME.  Sometimes it is interesting.  Yesterday, he was trying to decide if the articulated bus had more horsepower than a semi-truck.  He was wondering all this aloud of course, and usually in a just loud enough voice that cannot be tuned out.  "Articulated buses are pretty strong.  Maybe stronger than a semi!" Then the questions start: how many horsepower does a bus have?  What about an articulated bus?  What about a diesel fueled bus? Diesel fueled articulated bus?  Semi-truck?  How many horse power does a diesel fueled semi-truck hauling articulated buses have?
These are all very good questions.  The conversation continues for about 45 minutes until I realize that while he is talking I am actually trying to look this stuff up on the internet.  I cannot continue with my train of thought at this point because I am interrupted by another stream of questions.  Now he's onto construction equipment and bio-fueled cars.  This thirst for knowledge is both endearing and annoying.  This makes me swear to work on his reading. Maybe then I can tell him to "go look it up." (Remember that one, mom?)
Oh he can read.  This little guy can read pretty well- but not enough to find out the answers to life's deepest thoughts.  If he wanted to know the names of all the Cars characters, or what happens in the next Bob book he's all set.  But no.  he wants to know why ships float if the stapler sinks.  (Yes, he sank the stapler.)
So I have decided he is "gifted."  That way, if my mom is right and he really does get it from me, I can deal with that.  It makes me proud in fact.  I do wish he would learn to speak a little quieter.  Volume control (a.k.a. mute) would be wonderful.  Nonetheless, he is adorable.  I can't wait until schools starts and this thirst for knowledge gets even stronger.  Until then, he'll keep talking away.  Probably right through my trying to tell him that buses have anywhere between 143 and 190 horsepower, depending upon the engine specifications and model.

No comments:

Post a Comment