Adventures in parenting, life, and living in the moment

Adventures in life, parenting, and living in the moment

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hush, Little Baby.....

I have no idea why Daddy cannot get them to bed.  Really.  It isn't that hard.  8:00- begin sleep sequence of PJs, brushing teeth, inevitable "I'm starving" snack, brush teeth again, tuck in, read book, re-tuck because they won't stay in bed, get glass of water for the parched mouths of babes and repeat reading sequence.  I mean, really- it is predictable as the sunrise and happens the same way every time.  So WHY upon WHY am I the only one who can knock 'em out?
I rarely entertain the insistence of "I'm not tired" or "But, I can't sleep" that is so often a chorus for Daddy.  Sometimes I hear Daddy trying his best to get them to bed and getting sucked into the whirlpool of "more water," a "different" book, "another" song- whatever.  Half the time (okay- more like 75%) Daddy falls asleep on the bed before they do.  Although humorous, it leaves me with a snoring husband and two wide awake shorties.  Me?  Okay, I have been known to rock my self to sleep with the baby, but at least he's asleep too.  And Kai- well, he hasn't slept since birth so that is becoming the new norm.  God help us- we try with that boy.  Brody needs a cuddle, a bear, his blankey, some water and a song in the rocking chair and he's out like a light.  8:29 p.m. sharp.  Then there's Kai.  Exhibit A:
Kai: "I can't sleep."
Me: "Lay very still and imagine you are floating."
Kai: Incessent laughter.  "This is fun!!!"
Me: Sigh.
Kai: "I can't sleep.""
Me: "Count sheep."
Kai: "Why?"
Me: Sigh.  Good question.  He's got a point. Why is it sheep?
Kai: "I can't sleep."
Me: Sigh.

This is our routine.  SO we started having him count whatever he wants.  No limit on the species here, we are equal opportunity types so he can go for it.  Once he got to 841 stag beetles.  I swear it is true.  It is highly possible he got further.  841 is the last number I remember. I woke up several hours later and he was asleep in our room.  Sigh.  Again.
Well, tonight he tells me he's had a nightmare because a shark came along and ate one of his counting bugs.  Poor critter.  We say a prayer and move on.
Finally- and I mean finally- Kai and Brody are alseep.  Somehow Kai resolved the nightmare of sharks and beetles and Brody got the rocking and song he needed.  The light, steady breathing of the two beautiful faces I adore is calming and pure.  I give them a good night kiss and thank God or their place in my life.  Daddy is near asleep himself and worn out from a long day of Daddy-ing. I'm worn out too, but for some reason it is okay.  I love these boys and their funny ways.  I also know I will see them in an hour or two when they wander into our room...Until then, sweet dreams to the men in my life.  I am having a glass (or two) of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment